Travelling with Oxygen
The information provided is general in nature and intended as such. As regulations change regularly it is always recommended that your check with your travel agent, carrier and oxygen supplier prior to travelling. Planning in advance will lead to a worry-free enjoyable trip.
Tips for Travelling with Oxygen
- Before you make any plans to travel, check with your doctor to determine that you are capable of travel and what extra precautions may be necessary.
- Have a copy(s) of your oxygen prescription, including oxygen litre flow and hours of use, with you at all times as well as a current list of medications you are receiving. Make several copies of the prescription and medication list as you may need to present a copy to flight attendants or oxygen suppliers during your travel.
- You may also require a physician statement indicating your ability to travel, travel itinerary (general) and oxygen flow rates.
- If arranging your travel through a travel agent, make sure to inform them you will be travelling with oxygen before you book your trip.
- Contact your oxygen supplier and notify them of your travel plans and they may be able to assist you with your oxygen needs during your trip or at least direct you to organizations that specializes in coordinating travel with oxygen.
- Avoid travel travelling to, or through, locations at high elevations as these may make your breathing more difficult.
- There may be costs for oxygen when travelling that may not be covered by your government oxygen program, private health insurance or other payors.
General Oxygen Safety Tips
- Handle all compressed oxygen cylinders with care and secure the cylinders whenever possible to prevent them from being knocked over.
- Keep oxygen equipment out of reach of children.
- Keep equipment in a well ventilated area.
- Keep all grease, oils and paints away from your oxygen equipment.
- Turn off your oxygen equipment when not in use.
- Do not allow devices that generates sparks or flames in the area oxygen is being used.
- Use your oxygen only as indicated by your physician.
- Never use petroleum-based products (eg. Vaseline) when using oygen.
- NEVER SMOKE WHILE ON OXYGEN!!